четверг, февраля 02, 2006

Happy February everyone!

This is that month that, though shorter than the rest, often seems to drag on for far too long.  And I’m sure will seem even longer to me this year as I anxiously await my mother’s arrival in March.

 

 Halmark took over St. Valentine’s Day and decided that it would be a great time to get something special for the special someone, but today I was wondering what is this Valentine’s Day thing really all about.  Who was St. Valentine and why does he get a ‘day’ named after him anyway?  I guess that when I was in elementary school they probably told me, but I don’t remember and since my mom reads this, I’m sure she’s quite disappointed in me at the moment.  (Sorry, Mam.)

 

 Did you guys make mailboxes in elementary school and you had to give everyone in your class a Valentine?  I hated doing that.  I mean, what if I didn’t want to give Suzie a Valentine.  What if she’s not my friend—just have to pretend on V-day.  They even give you a list of all your classmates so you can’t ‘accidentally’ forget.  They would never make me do that in Ukraine.  No pretenses here.  If we’re not friends you don’t think that I will give you a Valentine ‘just to be nice.’

 

 Anyway, Marsha sent us Hello Kitty Valentines to give out this year.  How cool is that!?! I will get to deliver Valentines in Kiev.  Yeeeessss.  Dennis can have the ‘princess kitty’ one.  (shh, don’t tell him, he’s in America right now and we wouldn’t want him to know). 

 

Another thing about valentine’s day is how do you know what to get someone?  Not that I’ve ever had anyone to get anything for…but, I mean, will just chocolate suffice or should you go more along the route of diamonds?  In the past my mom has gotten things as strange as flower pot with palm trees on it, to as romantic (?) as a Camero convertible (I think maybe that was to make up for the disaster of the flower pot :o) 

 

Something else that I think about when I think about Valentine’s Day is that I always get a card from my Grandma and Grandpa in the mail—even though they live in Tallahassee and could just give it to me.  My Grandma likes to give cards so I get them for Valentine’s day and St. Patrick’s Day and Easter and Christmas and Thanksgiving and all sorts of holidays.  And I always know they’re from Grandma ‘cause she has this really cool calligraphy handwriting. 

 

I know that I’m a little early to be talking about Valentine’s Day, but I was thinking about it because we were writing on our white board calendar yesterday and that’s pretty much February’s theme.  So, again, I wish everyone a very joy filled February. 

 

Peace Out!

 

3 комментария:

OMH комментирует...

I hated giving V-Day cards because you HAD to - I wanted to get them because someone wanted me to have one - or give them cause I wanted them to have one! I'm not a you do something because you have type person.

Unknown комментирует...

HAPPY GROUNDHOGS DAY!!

James Morrow, Secretary General of United Nations комментирует...

Yo Yo Yo!, just hought i would stop by and tell you that I love you. And im praying for your guys over there... Thanks for being such an awesome encouragment to me..
Loves