четверг, октября 05, 2006

It's a puzzle

"Thanks for calling the Reber-Jackson Inn, all beds are full, but if you don't mind sleeping on the floor, we'd love to have you" may be what you would here if you were to call our house today. There is a HillSong conference going on this weekend and Dennis, his mom, his cousin Oksanna and 2 friends (Max and Alexei) from their hometown are staying in our apartment. Calyn and I went to the opening of the conference last night and it was awesome (but that is for another blog post...maybe Calyn will work on that one later). After the conference we were all exhausted--heads were falling on plates at the dinner table. So, promptly upon finishing, the boys went to the living room to fight with the futon/couch thing in hopes of making it into a bed. From the kitchen Dennis, Calyn and I watched for a little while. I told Dennis that I would try to do it, but not with everyone in the room. I could just hear everyone "Try this. Do it this way. Here, let me help." No, if you want me to do something then let me do it. Dennis said the guys were having fun-- it was a puzzle--they would figure it out. So, Calyn and I retired to our room to do some homework. Dennis walked by and I asked if they had gotten it yet. Nope. No sooner had Dennis made it into the chair in our room did his mom stand in the doorway with a very distraught expression on her face. Still no luck. Dennis told her that I said I would try if the guys would leave the room, so she attempted to run them out, but they would not have it. I went into the living room--bringing Calyn along for moral support--and sat down to wait for the boys to give up. As I waited, I turned to Calyn, "the problem is," I said, "that boys think it's all about force. 'If I push hard enough, then it will do what I want it to do.' No, if you push hard enough it will break. The couch was made to become a bed. There is some sort of trick to it. You do something just right and it will fall into place. Figuring out how to do it may be difficult, but actually putting it down will not." Eventually the boys left, I pulled the couch out from the wall and sat down beside it to examine how it might work. I sent Calyn for a flashlight and started feeling the henges under the couch. I pushed one up and pulled the bed down. "Vin, eighty-six that flashlight. I got it."
I love logic games--the twisted nails you have to separate, that game where you have to get everyone across the river but only 2 people can go at a time and certain people can't ever be alone together, that box that Mrs. Debbie put our tickets in that Christmas--so good.

2 комментария:

Анонимный комментирует...

Yeah, Lori!
I need you home to solve all my tech issues!
Love, Mom

Анонимный комментирует...

The world wouldn't necessarily be a better place if men weren't in it but it certainly would be a different place. And Debbie is right, it's not the brawn, it's the brain! Love ya, Ms Rachel